In January 2007 Aemstelgroep has started with geriatric referrals. Older patients that can nog longer be treated by their own dentist due to physical or mental disabilities, can come to Aemstelgroep for specialised dental care.
Examples of patients that would qualify for such a treatment are:
- Patients bound to a wheelchair (due to extensive trauma)
- Patients that suffer from neurological diseases that could cause aphasia, apraxia and paralyses (CVA, Parkinsons, Multiple Sclerosis)
- Patients with cognitive disabilities (Alzheimers or other forms of dementia)
- The centre is easily accessible by wheelchairs and mobility scooters
- There is a patient hoist to help patients that are able to stand but not able to walk from their wheelchair to the treatment table
- For patients for whom transfer with the patient hoist is no option, dental treatment can sometimes be provided in their own wheelchair. If this is not possible, we will refer you to the Centre for Specialised Dental Treatment
- There are several different dental professionals at your service in our practice, allowing many specialised treatments
The patient is always in the back of our minds. It is important to us that you have no pain and are able to eat. Prior to any treatment we always document the general health of our patients. If wanted, we will discuss with your doctor of specialist about for example giving you medication.
Many seniors that are faced with physical or mental disability have not been to a dentist for several years. This is very understandable, considering that it is hard enough to deal with the disabilities. However, please don’t hesitate to make an appointment.